2020 News Releases

Edwards County woman ordered to repay $30,000 for Medicaid fraud

Release Date: Aug 14, 2020

KINSLEY – (August 14, 2020) – An Edwards County woman has been ordered to repay $30,000 to the Kansas Medicaid Program after pleading guilty to Medicaid fraud-related charges, Attorney General Derek Schmidt said today.

Candy R. German, 48, of Kinsley, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in Edwards County District Court to 24 separate counts of making false claims to the Medicaid program. Chief Judge Bruce Gatterman accepted the pleas, ordering German to repay the Medicaid program and to serve 24 months of probation.

The case was initially discovered by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment during a review of billing practices. After an administrative proceeding, the case was referred to the attorney general’s Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division. A subsequent investigation determined that between March and May 2014, German submitted multiple claims for payment to KDHE. German was a service provider to Medicaid beneficiaries from her business in Kinsley.

Special agents from the Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division investigated and determined that records that would support German’s claims for payment, which are required to be maintained, had been destroyed by German.

The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant Attorney General Ed Brancart, Deputy Director of the Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division.

The following statement about the Kansas Medicaid Fraud Control Unit is required by the federal government: The Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division in the Attorney General’s Office receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $1,567,756 for Federal fiscal year (FFY) 2020. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $522,584 for FFY 2020, is funded by the Office of the Kansas Attorney General from moneys recovered in litigation.


Media & Resources


Search News Releases

NOTE: This will perform a Google search and display the results in a new tab/window.

News Release Archive

News releases issued prior to 2011 are available through an archive hosted by the Kansas State Library.