2020 News Releases

Former Wichita nurse pleads guilty to Medicaid fraud, mistreatment of dependent adult, drug charges

Release Date: Oct 30, 2020

WICHITA – (October 30, 2020) – A former Wichita nurse has been found guilty of Medicaid fraud, mistreatment of a dependent adult and drug possession, Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt said today.

Melissa Ann Seiber, 41, yesterday pleaded guilty in Sedgwick County District Court to three counts of Medicaid fraud, one count of mistreatment of a dependent adult in a nursing facility and three counts of unlawful possession of a controlled substance. The case stemmed from an investigation by the Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division. The crimes took place between June 2018 and November 2019 while Seiber was employed at three nursing facilities in Wichita on three separate occasions.

District Judge Christopher Magana accepted Seiber’s plea and scheduled sentencing for December 15.

The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant Attorney General Ed Brancart. 

The following statement about the Kansas Medicaid Fraud Control Unit is required by the federal government: The Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division in the Attorney General’s Office receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $2,393,844 for Federal fiscal year (FFY) 2021. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $797,945 for FFY 2021, is funded by the Office of the Kansas Attorney General from moneys recovered in litigation.

Media & Resources


Search News Releases

NOTE: This will perform a Google search and display the results in a new tab/window.

News Release Archive

News releases issued prior to 2011 are available through an archive hosted by the Kansas State Library.