TOPEKA – (March 1, 2023) – A southeast Kansas man has been ordered to repay the Kansas Medicaid program more than $1,200 after pleading guilty to fraud charges.
Kansas Attorney General Kris Kobach said William Carl Morris II, 37, of Altamont, was sentenced in Labette County District Court on one count of submitting a false claim, statement or representation to the Kansas Medicaid program. Labette County District Judge Fred W. Johnson sentenced Morris to pay $1,276.95 in restitution and to serve 12 months of supervised probation.
Investigators for the attorney general’s Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division determined that Morris submitted false claims that he was providing personal care attendant services to his mother, a Medicaid beneficiary. Morris stated dates that he allegedly provided the services, but investigators determined that his mother was in fact in another city at the alleged time.
The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant Attorney General Eve Kemple.
Kobach said two other individuals also were recently sentenced in unrelated cases:
- Carrie Elizabeth McPhail, 56, of Saline County, was sentenced on February 13 on one count of mistreatment of a dependent adult and one count of Medicaid fraud. She was ordered to pay $1,807.96 in restitution and serve 36 months of supervised probation. The case was handled by Assistant Attorney General Debby Moody.
- Lisa Gail Hall, 61, of Jewell County, was sentenced on February 14 on one count of possession of hydromorphone and one count of obstruction of a Medicaid fraud investigation. She was sentenced to 12 months of probation. The case was handled by Assistant Attorney General Debby Moody.
The Office of the Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division is authorized under federal law to investigate fraud by Medicaid providers; patient abuse or neglect in a health care facility, as defined by 42 U.S.C. § 1396b(q)(4)(A)(i); or patient abuse or neglect in a board and care facility, as defined by 42 U.S.C. § 1396b(q)(4)(A)(ii). An online complaint form is available at https://ag.ks.gov/complaint-center/medicaid-fraud-abuse.
The following statement about the Kansas Medicaid Fraud Control Unit is required by the federal government: The Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division in the Attorney General’s Office receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $2,307,236 for Federal fiscal year (FFY) 2023. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $769,075 for FFY 2023, is funded by the Office of the Kansas Attorney General from moneys recovered in litigation.